Are you on the lookout for a delicious side dish that is sure to impress? Look no further than Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata!
As an avid bread baker, I am always on the hunt for ways to use up extra bread as I test recipes. I discovered this one just in time for the holidays! It is a comforting casserole made with layers of crusty bread, sautéed spinach, a blend of cheeses, and a simple custard. It’s essentially a savory bread pudding that’s guaranteed to be a hit whether it’s for breakfast, brunch, a potluck, dinner, or a special holiday meal.
What You’ll Need:
Day Old Bread- Any bread you like will work. I prefer any whole loaf that is not pre-sliced such as French, Italian, or Potato that can easily be cubed into bite sized pieces, about 1 inch.
20 oz. Baby Spinach- Please use fresh spinach. You will need 2-10 ounce bags.
Salt & Pepper
Korean Chili Flakes- or regular red pepper flakes
Cheese- I highly recommend shredding the cheese yourself. Pre-grated cheese tends to melt a little differently because it has a coating on it to prevent caking. Any good melting cheese such as Mozzarella, Monterrey Jack, Gruyère, or even Oaxaca works great. You will also need freshly grated parmesan.
Large 12″ Skillet or Wok
Cooking Tongs or Slotted Spoon- This is for cooking the spinach and making sure when you start layering that any liquid is left behind in the skillet or wok.
9 x 13″ or 4 quart Baking Dish-
There are endless possibilities when it comes to customizing Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Add other vegetables, such as mushrooms, zucchini, or sun-dried tomatoes.
- Use different types of cheese, such as Gruyère, fontina, or cheddar.
- Add a pinch of nutmeg or smoked paprika for extra flavor.
Ways to serve
Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata is a versatile dish that can be served for brunch, lunch, or dinner. Here are a few ideas:
- Serve it with a side of fresh fruit or a simple green salad.
- Pair it with a bowl of hot soup.
- Top the strata with a fried or poached egg for complete meal.
How to store
Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. To store the strata, let it cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container.
How to reheat
- To reheat in the oven, preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Cover the strata with foil and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until heated through.
- To reheat in the microwave, place a serving of the strata in a microwave-safe dish. Microwave on high for 1-2 minutes, or until heated through.
Making the perfect Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata
- Use crusty bread that is a day or two old, such as French Bread, Butter Bread, or Sourdough, or Potato Bread. This will help the bread to hold its shape and prevent it from becoming mushy.
- Don’t overcook the spinach. The spinach should be wilted but still retain its bright green color.
- Use a good quality cheese. The cheese will melt into the strata and create a rich and creamy sauce.
- Don’t be afraid to experiment with different flavors. Add your favorite herbs, spices, or vegetables to create your own unique strata.
With these tips in mind, you’re sure to create a Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata that is both delicious and impressive. So next time you’re looking for a make-ahead brunch dish, be sure to give this recipe a try!
Looking for more side dishes? Check these out!
If you try this Savory Spinach & Cheese Strata or any of my other recipes tag me on Instagram, comment & rate below!
Subscribe today for FREE weekly recipes sent directly to your inbox!
Spinach & Cheese Strata
- 1 Large Wok or Skillet
- 1 4 quart baking dish or 9 x 13"
- 1 Cooking Tongs or a Slotted Spoon
- 8 large large eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili flakes, optional
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1 pound French bread, cubed into 1-inch pieces, SEE BELOW
- 2 cups shredded cheese, Mozzarella or Monterrey Jack
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 20 ounces fresh baby spinach
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- Grease the baking dish and prepare your ingredients. Set aside. Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- In a medium bowl, combine eggs, milk, Italian seasoning, Korean chili flakes (optional), 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Add the cubed bread and shredded cheese, gently fold in. Set aside to soak while you cook the spinach.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium heat. Sauté the onions until soft, about 4-6 minutes.
- Start cooking the spinach. Add it in batches if it does not all fit at once, as it wilts down a little you can keep adding more until it is all in the pan. Cook until it is wilted. Turn off the heat and add the garlic and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Combine and set aside.
- Start layering the bread and spinach (using tongs or a slotted spoon to drain any extra liquid in the pan) in thirds into the prepared baking dish, bread/cheese/egg mixture first, then spinach and so forth.
- Bake on the middle rack uncovered for 50-60 minutes until browned and baked through. (Use foil only as needed to prevent burning). Rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting into it and serving.