This Easy Coconut Ginger Rice is light, fluffy, delicious, and flavorful. It’s one of our favorite quick and easy side dishes. This recipe makes a large batch perfect for large families, make ahead meal prep, or a dinner party. If you need less, it can easily be reduced by half.
With aromatic flavors like Jasmine Rice and Ginger, this compliments all of your Asian or tropical inspired dishes perfectly. There is a creaminess reminiscent to risotto thanks to the coconut milk, but the addition of fresh ginger takes it to another level. I love to serve this alongside my Instant Pot Ginger Honey Drumsticks with some steamed veggies. It’s also more than a hearty side dish. It can also double as a great main dish topped off with some fresh greens!
Joy Makers & Co. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
What You’ll Need:
Jasmine Rice is a long-grain variety of fragrant rice. It has a sweet, nutty flavor. Almost buttery. The taste is distinct and pairs so well with the ginger and coconut milk.
Fresh Ginger- There is no substitute for fresh ginger, but you can add more or less if you like. It is easy to find in the produce section of your grocery store. Just peel off the skin of the root and finely chop. I love cooking with fresh ginger, there is always some in my fridge.
Korean Red Pepper Flakes– One of my FAVORITE ingredients to have on hand. I keep a small jar of this next to my stove with the salt & pepper. I use it that much. It doesn’t pack as much heat as traditional chili flakes, but it has great flavor. The pop of color isn’t too shabby either.
Turmeric– This gives the rice a golden color and just a touch of earthy, peppery flavor.
Kosher Salt– If you are using table salt to replace kosher, use less. Kosher salt is larger, if you use an equal amount of a fine grain it will be too salty.
Coconut Milk- Be sure to use a good canned coconut milk, not coconut beverage in a carton.
TIP: When making the full recipe, you can reduce the coconut milk by half. I will pour in my one can of milk into the pot. Then use that can to fill with the same amount of water. That way I am only using one can of coconut milk, but the same amount of liquid. Add the remaining ingredients without adjustments. This will give you a “lighter”, but equally as delicious rice dish.
Large Stockpot- You will need a large stock pot with a lid.
Looking for more dinner recipes?
If you try these Fluffy Buttermilk Pumpkin Spice Pancakes or any of my other recipes tag me on Instagram @joymakersandco, I’d love to see what you make!
Easy Coconut Ginger Rice
- 1 Large Stockpot
- 3 cups Jasmine rice, rinsed well
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 13.5 ounce cans of coconut milk* see notes
- 2 cups water, cold
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, see notes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Korean chili flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- Prep your rice, ginger, and other ingredients.
- Add everything to a large stockpot. Give it a stir. Just a few times, enough to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium. As soon as it starts to simmer, turn the heat to low and cover with a lid.
- Cook for 25 minutes. Do not remove the lid during cooking. After 25 minutes, leave the lid on. Turn the heat off and let rest for 10-15 minutes. If you have an electric stove, take it off of the hot burner. If you have a gas stove, you are ok to leave it where it is.
- After it has finished, fluff the rice with a fork and serve with more Korean chili flakes.