This simple salad made with ripe tomatoes, fresh dill, and chopped cucumbers in a quick vinaigrette is the perfect way to ring in warmer weather.
It is light, bright, and flavorful. The perfect healthy accompaniment to your grilled main dishes or at the center of the table for everyone to share. Everything about it is simple, just make sure all of your produce is fresh and ripe.
What You’ll Need:
Vine Ripened Tomatoes- Make sure they are ripe, yet firm. And always store at room temperature before making the salad.
English Cucumbers- This type of cucumber is PERFECT for salads. If you haven’t tried them before, this is your opportunity. English Cucumbers are also known as seedless or greenhouse. They have a thinner skin and fewer seeds, great in chopped salads.
Red Onion- You will need to thinly slice about 1/2 of an onion. But if you want to swap it out, you can try the much milder shallot.
Fresh Dill- Tomatoes and dill go so well together and adding it is the cherry on top. You will need about a quarter cup or half of a small bunch. Cut the stems off at the bottom and finely chop the leaves. Save the rest for my Healthy Lemon Herb Salmon Salad recipe.
Vinegar or Lemon Juice- I always have Apple Cider Vinegar on hand, so that is what I use the most. I have also used lemon juice as a replacement and you can swap it out with Red Wine Vinegar.
Honey– a few teaspoons just to balance the flavors.
Kosher Salt & Black Pepper- to taste. Do not swap the kosher salt for a “finer” grain table salt, it will be too salty.
Pairs well with grilled chicken or fish. Salmon or shrimp would be fantastic.
Make it a meal and serve it with some crusty French Bread to sop up all the juices.
Make it ahead. It will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. The tomatoes will release juices over time, but everything should remain fairly crisp.
If you try this salad or any of my other recipes tag me on Instagram @joymakersandco, I’d love to see what you make!
Fresh Dill Tomato Cucumber Salad
- 2-3 large English cucumbers, (about 4 cups), cut into bite sided pieces
- 4 large vine ripened tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced or diced (see notes below)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice or vinegar, (see notes below)
- 1/2 small bunch fresh dill, chopped, (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, or to taste (see notes below)
- black pepper, to taste
- Wash, prep, and chop the vegetables & dill. Place in a medium mixing bowl.
- In a glass mixing jug or small bowl, whisk together the oil, juice (or vinegar), honey, salt, & pepper.
- Pour the vinaigrette into the bowl with the prepared vegetables and gently toss to coat with the dressing.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour before serving.
- This salad will keep in the fridge for up to 3 days. Note, the tomatoes will continue to release juices. You can drain it off or just leave it in the bowl. Everything should stay fairly crisp for the full 3 days.
Leave a Reply