The classic grilled cheese is the simplest form of comfort food. Far from the “original” that most of us remember from our childhood, this “Fancy” Grilled Cheese is taking it up a notch with zero extra effort. I wouldn’t even call this a recipe, it’s more of a guideline. And as if melty cheese wasn’t a good enough reason to motivate you to get out that grater & your griddle… this is also a fantastic meal prep idea!
Whether it’s for my kids or my husband, I haven’t met anyone that didn’t love this sandwich. Parents, this is a great meal idea for those summer vacations, holiday breaks, or long weekends. Whether you homeschool, work from home or have access to warm up your lunch on the go… just whip up the cheese filling and store it in the fridge for up to one week. You can either divide the recipe in half or double it. Make any amount that you will use up within 7 days.
What You’ll Need
Bread- The sky is the limit here. Use what you love, however, I do not recommend the cheaper sliced sandwich bread. Go for something a little more hearty that can stand up to all of the melted goodness. Try thicker slices of a French or Italian loaf. Maybe try Texas Toast, Country White, Multigrain or even a nice Gluten Free bread.
Cheese- Grate your own cheese, this is probably the most effort that the recipe will require. In my experience, the pre-grated stuff does not melt the same. In my basic recipe I go for a combination of Sharp Cheddar, Mozzarella & Cream Cheese. The Cream Cheese is the only one that is a MUST, but you can customize the rest with your favorites. Try Monterrey Jack, Jalapeno Jack, Colby Jack, Swiss, White Cheddar or go fancier with Gruyère.
Butter & Mayo- You can either butter the bread or spread with more mayo on the slices before cooking. Both work equally as well to give the bread that beautiful golden crispiness. The mayo is another must for the filling. It helps along with the cream cheese to bind all the shredded cheeses together.
Electric Griddle, Cast Iron Skillet, or Large Pan- I love to use my Electric Griddle to make these. I generally make the filling and cook 3 sandwiches at a time and the large cooking space allows me to be done in the kitchen much faster.
Joy Makers & Co. is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a way for websites to earn advertising revenues by advertising and linking to Amazon.com
“Fancy” Grilled Cheese
- 4 ounces Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 1/3 cup Mayo
- 1 cup Mozzarella, shredded
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar, shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon Garlic Powder, or to taste
- 10 thick slices of Bread
- In a medium mixing bowl combine all cheese, mayo, garlic powder and salt to taste. Mix by hand until well combined or with a electric hand mixer on low.
- Store in an air-tight container or butter two slices of bread, both sides. Spread a good layer of the cheese mixture onto one slice of bread. Top with the other slice and cook on a griddle heated to medium or 325F. When golden brown and the cheese starts to melt, flip the sandwich and cook the other side.
- Plate your sandwich and cut in half with a serrated knife. Serve alone or with a side of your choice.
Leave a Reply